Tuesday 1 August 2017

A quick update for July!

I haven't commented on any of your lovely blogs for several days, and it's been almost a fortnight since I posted. My excuse is, of course, Camp NaNo. (Among other things. Such as study/family stuff/watching An Unexpected Journey with my brother.) The last few days have been rather stressful because I apparently don't know how to prioritise. Or focus. Not until things are looking quite dire, anyway.

But I did win.


And now I'm both really, really pleased, and quite a bit ashamed of myself. For the same reason:


Sliiight mid-month slump here.

What I'm pleased about:
I WROTE 3.4K IN ONE DAY. (My previous maximum was 1.8k.)

What I'm ashamed of:
Since I wrote 4.6k in the last two days... I could have written way more than 10k total. If I'd tried harder.

But I'm a Master Procrastinator and can't actually get anything done until riiight before the deadline?? [E.g. Tertiary study assessments. Due in two days. I'll have a look at that now I've finished Camp.]

I was actually concerned that I'd procrastinated too far:


BUT I spent a lot of time on the thirty-first and neglected real life and managed to pull my word count up to reach the goal, to the cheers of my super-encouraging cabinmates.

Me writing on July 31st. Obviously. 

So! How did Camp go for you? Or if you didn't participate this time around, how's your month been for writing? Tell me in the comments! 

Although I probably will be checking up on a heap of blogs now. And you've probably written about your month there. Never mind! Tell me in the comments anyway! ;)

20 comments:

  1. Those gifs were perfection! XD

    My month writing has been slow, but it's getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Master Procrastinator self actually got sucked off into a corner of the internet searching for gifs instead of writing this post, so... I'm glad they were worth it! ;)

      My writing tends to be slow all the time, Gray, so I commiserate. But I'm sure you'll do great this month! *sends lamingtons*

      Delete
  2. I managed to win Camp NaNo too, even if I had to lower my goal to do it. My end product though was a huge mess...

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome that you won, Catherine! I think we writers can be really hard on ourselves; but if you wrote a huge chunk of text you wouldn't have written otherwise? You. Won. And first drafts are always messes - to let myself work past it, I have to remind myself that I'm "simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles" [Shannon Hale]. Your story will be great in the end, I'm sure. ;)

      Delete
  3. OH YAY THAT'S GREAT!!! So pleased that you won in the end. AND 3.4K IN ONE DAY IS GREAT! *throws confetti* You could totally do 50k NaNoWriMo if you pretended that each day was the last day. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I maybe could do 50k?? but I am actually terrible at lying to myself about deadlines (I have tried...) xD Thanks, Jane! *dances in confetti*

      Delete
  4. You did such a great job the last day! I'm super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! Congratulations! And that gif of owl... I love it. I need to use that one someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't the first time I've used the Owl gif and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last ;) Thanks, Faith!

      Delete
  6. You did it!! (I knew you could!) :) But you kinda know how I've been doing as far as writing goes, fellow Pennite!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a supportive cabinmate, Julian! And you did awesomely :D

      Delete
  7. WOW you wrote 3.4k in one day??? *jaw drops* I did indeed win Nano, so that was good. Congrats on winning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3.4k is a big thing for me, but I'm hoping to do more big daily word counts now I know I can! And congrats on winning NaNo yourself, Zane! :) *highfives*

      Delete
  8. Congrats on making your goal! *throws confetti*

    My writing month has been crazy because... plot bunnies O.O In the middle of nano...I'm glad it's over.

    <3
    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! I hope you managed to successfully wrestle all those plot bunnies ;)

      Delete
  9. OOOH CONGRATULATIONS, JEM! 3.4k is a huge amount of words to write in one day :)

    My writing month... WHAT WRITING MONTH?! I. Hate. School.

    - andrea at a surge of thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea, and it's nice to see you back! :)

      "WHAT WRITING MONTH?!" < I identify with this SO MUCH. This is me on every standard (non-NaNo!) month. Hope school goes well and you get a chance to write soon!

      Delete
  10. It's not my first time to visit this website, i am browsing this web page dailly
    and get fastidious informatipn from here everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear you find this blog helpful, although I'm not sure where the 'fastidious information' came from, because I sure haven't written anything like that! ;P

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))